Backup Err Msg: Cannot Read Volume Information from Diskette (101885)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q101885
Microsoft Backup for MS-DOS (MSBACKUP.EXE) fails to restore files to a
different machine than the one you originally used for backup. Attempting
to restore using MSBACKUP.EXE may result in one of the following error
• Cannot read volume information from diskette.
• Cannot determine diskette type.
NOTE: These errors can also occur if you run Microsoft Backup from a third-
party menu program. To work around this problem, exit Microsoft Backup and
the menu program and then run Microsoft Backup from an MS-DOS command
To work around this problem, rebuild the catalog file before you proceed
with the restore operation. The steps to rebuild a catalog file from floppy
disks are as follows:
• Run MSBACKUP.EXE and choose the Restore button.
• From the Catalog menu, choose Rebuild.
• Select the correct drive letter from which to rebuild and then choose
• After rebuilding, choose the Load button to load the new file, then
continue with Restore.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: