Error Message Formatting Blank Disk: Drive Not Ready (103547)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q103547
The FORMAT command may report "Drive not ready" if you try to format
an unformatted disk in drive B after you access an empty drive A. The
same problem occurs if you access an empty drive B and then try to
format a disk in drive A.
NOTE: If the floppy disk has been previously formatted, the FORMAT
command works correctly.
To work around this problem, restart your computer or use the /U
(unconditional) parameter when you format the disk. For example, type
format b: /u at the MS-DOS command
prompt and then press ENTER.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in MS-DOS versions 5.0,
5.0a, 6.0, and 6.2. We are researching this problem and will post new
information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: