Backup for MS-DOS Err Msg: CONTROL.FIL Cannot Be Read by DOS (104523)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q104523
When you back up an entire hard disk drive using Microsoft Backup for
MS-DOS (MSBACKUP.EXE), you may receive the following error message:
NOTE: This error does not occur if you are using Microsoft Backup for
This error is generated if you are backing up the SENTRY directory
while Delete Sentry is resident in memory.
To work around this problem, do one of the following:
• Remove UNDELETE from memory by typing "UNDELETE /U" (without the
quotation marks), at the MS-DOS command prompt.
• Avoid backing up the SENTRY directory by not including this
directory in the file-selection process in Backup.
When this error appears, Backup gives you the options Continue (the
default) and Cancel Backup. If you choose Continue, the remaining
files are backed up. Choosing Cancel returns you to the first Backup
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: