400 PPI Serial Mouse and Northgate Computers (59861)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft Mouse driver for MS-DOS 6.x
• Microsoft Mouse driver for MS-DOS 7.x
• Microsoft Mouse driver for MS-DOS 8.x
• Microsoft Serial-PS/2 Mouse 1.0
This article was previously published under Q59861
When you attempt to install the 400 ppi PS/2/serial Microsoft Mouse on the
9-pin serial port of some Northgate computers, the mouse may not install.
When the 400 ppi Microsoft Serial-PS/2 Mouse is installed on the 9-pin
serial port as a serial mouse, it uses pins 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 to
communicate with the serial port.
The other pins in the 9-pin connector are used when the PS/2 adapter is
connected to the mouse. Pin 8 of the built-in serial port, when set to a
logic zero, is 1 to 2 volts higher than the voltage that would be present
on an IBM compatible serial port. When a logic 1 is present on pin 8 and
the mouse is connected to a 9-pin serial port, the mouse cannot reset. This
prevents the mouse from installing.
To work around this problem, do either of the following:
• Contact Northgate technical services. They have found the cause of the
problem and can work with you to make the necessary corrections to the
motherboard. Northgate says this problem (which occurs on 80386 and
80286 computers) is corrected.
• Use a 9- to 25-pin serial adapter to eliminate the signal from pin 8.
To do this, you need to purchase the adapter from a local electronics
store. This adapter has a 9-pin female connector on one end and a 25-pin
male connector on the other end. Once you have the adapter, perform the
• Attach the adapter you purchased to the built-in serial port of
• Attach the mouse to the 25- to 9-pin serial adapter that was
supplied with your mouse.
• Attach this adapter to the 9- to 25-pin adapter that you have
already attached to your computer.
For more information, contact Northgate.
The Northgate product included here is manufactured by a vendor independent
of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this
product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: