Running IBM DOSSHELL on PS/2 55sx Disables Mouse: Norton Util. (69957)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft Mouse driver for MS-DOS 7.x
• Microsoft Mouse driver for MS-DOS 6.x
This article was previously published under Q69957
The Microsoft Serial Mouse does not work in Norton Utilities version
5.0 after you run the IBM DOS version 4.0x DOSSHELL on a PS/2 55sx.
This is true for any Microsoft Mouse driver versions 6.24b and later.
When you run Norton Utilities, the mouse cursor shows up on the
screen but it doesn't respond when you move the mouse. This problem
doesn't occur if the DOSSHELL is not run first, before the Norton
This information applies to the Microsoft Mouse driver versions 6.24b
though 7.04 for MS-DOS systems.
The mouse works in the DOSSHELL even if an IBM mouse driver is being
loaded through it (that is, /MOS:PCIBMDRV.MOS). This is true only for an
IBM PS/2 55sx with IBM PC DOS 4.0x loaded.
Doing the following fixes the problem:
• Locate the file named DOSSHELL.BAT.
• Use the Type command to view the DOSSHELL.BAT file.
• Find the mouse driver command-line switch /MOS:PC???DRV.MOS, where
??? = IBM, MS, or MSD.
• Make a backup copy of the DOSSHELL.BAT file.
• Load DOSSHELL.BAT into a text editor.
• Delete the mouse driver call from this line and add nothing to the
• Save the DOSSHELL.BAT file with the same name.
• Reboot the machine.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: