Compaq 132-Column Mode and EDIT.COM (74331)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q74331
Compaq DOS MODE allows access to a 132-column mode. This is incompatible
with the MS-DOS Editor and MS-DOS QBasic.
When EDIT.COM or QBASIC.EXE are invoked, the top menu bar and the
bottom status bars are visible, but no text is visible.
Compaq DOS versions 3.31 and 4.01 allow access to this video mode.
Compaq machines that support this mode are the following:
• DESKPRO 386/20s
• Models ending with n, or l
• New 386/20e and 386/25e with the enhanced video board. To determine
which video board is installed, check the serial number plate on
the back of the machine.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem with MS-DOS version 5.0,
5.00a, 6.0, and 6.2. We are researching this problem and will post
additional information here as it becomes available.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: