MS-DOS Does Not Upgrade from Compaq DOS 2.11 (74422)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q74422
Compaq DOS version 2.11 is equivalent to MS-DOS version 2.1. Microsoft
MS-DOS 5 or later Upgrade requires MS-DOS 2.11 or later to upgrade DOS
to version 5.0 or later. The following error message is likely to
occur when upgrading from Compaq DOS 2.11:
You may receive this message when installing to the hard disk or to
the floppy drive. To upgrade to MS-DOS 5.0 or later, use the following
• Install MS-DOS 5.0 or later on another computer by typing setup/f.
• Boot the original computer using the startup disk.
• Verify that the hard disk is functional under MS-DOS 5.0 or later
(the CHKDSK [no /f] command will verify proper disk access by the
current DOS version).
• Use the SYS command to copy the system files onto the hard drive.
• Copy the MS-DOS 5.0 files or later from the working disks to the
DOS directory on the hard drive.
• Restart the computer from the hard disk.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: