Second FCBS Parameter Not Used in MS-DOS 5.x and 6.x (74932)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q74932
The MS-DOS 5.0 "User's Guide and Reference" and MS-DOS 6.0 "User's Guide"
do not show a second parameter for the FCBS command. The online Help for
MS-DOS 6.0 and 6.2 also does not show this parameter.
In previous versions of MS-DOS, the second FCBS parameter set the number of
files opened by FCBs (file control blocks) that MS-DOS cannot close
automatically. This parameter is no longer necessary with MS-DOS 5.x and
later due to the nature of the new FCB scheme.
When MS-DOS 5.x and later versions parse the CONFIG.SYS file, it disregards
a second parameter if present on the FCBS line. This feature allows old
style FCBS commands to be processed without error under MS-DOS 5.x and 6.x.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: