Pathworks 4.x Does Not Run with Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS (74997)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
• Microsoft Windows 3.0
• Microsoft Windows 3.0a
This article was previously published under Q74997
When you run Microsoft Windows version 3.0 under Microsoft MS-DOS
version 5.0, 6.0, or 6.2, with Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)
Pathworks versions 4.x, your machine may stop responding (hang) when
accessing floppy disks from the MS-DOS command prompt.
When you switch to the MS-DOS Prompt from within Windows 3.0, accessing
drives A and B may cause the machine to hang.
This problem may occur if EMM386.EXE is loaded.
To see if the problem is related to EMM386.EXE, type "REM" (without
the quotation marks) in front of the DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE line in
your CONFIG.SYS file. Restart the machine. If the problem seems to go
away, take the "REM" out and try the following:
• Make sure to follow the directions for installing Pathworks with
MS-DOS 5.0 on page 25 of the version 5.0 "Microsoft MS-DOS Getting
• Exclude the area A000 - C7FF and specify no expanded memory by
adding the following to your CONFIG.SYS file:
Device=EMM386.EXE x=A000-C7FF NOEMS
• Try excluding the system ROM.
• In the [386Enh] section of the Windows SYSTEM.INI file,
exclude E000 - EFFF from the EMM386 if your EtherNet card is
set for this area.
Pathworks is manufactured by Digital Equipment Corporation, a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding this product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: