Installing MS-DOS on a Tandy 1000SL, SL2, TL, TL2, or RL (75076)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q75076
Before installing Microsoft MS-DOS version 5.0 or later on a Tandy
1000SL, SL2, TL, TL2, or RL, you must follow the procedure outlined
below to disable the ROM DOS functionality of the machine.
• Insert the original MS-DOS 3.3 floppy disk into drive A.
• At the A prompt, type SETUPxx,
where "xx" is the computer's initials (for example, SETUPRL).
• The BIOS/ROM DOS SETUP program loads, displaying a menu of options.
Press the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select options. Press the LEFT
and RIGHT ARROW keys to change settings. The current settings are
• Use the DOWN ARROW key to select the PRIMARY START-UP DEVICE
option. The choices are ROM and DISK, with ROM being the default.
• Press the RIGHT ARROW key to highlight DISK.
• Using the DOWN ARROW key, select the INITIAL START-UP DEVICE
option. The choices are MS-DOS and DESKMATE, with DESKMATE as the
• Use the RIGHT ARROW key to highlight MS-DOS.
• Press F1 to update the EEPROM.
• Restart the computer and proceed to install MS-DOS.
The products included here are manufactured by Tandy, a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding these products' performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: