Installing MS-DOS 5.x or 6.x on Tandy 2500XL2 or 1000RLX (75080)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q75080
Before you install MS-DOS version 5.0 or later on a Tandy 2500XL2 or Tandy
1000RLX computer, you must follow the procedure outlined below to disable
the ROM DOS functionality of the Tandy.
• Insert the original floppy disk labeled MS-DOS/GW-BASIC into drive A.
• At the A prompt, type SETUPXL2 for
the 2500XL2 model or SETUPRLX for the 1000RLX model, then press
• The BIOS/ROM DOS Setup program loads, displaying a menu of options.
Use the ARROW keys to select options. Press the SPACEBAR to change
settings (the current settings are the only ones that are
• Use the RIGHT ARROW key to select the START-UP PROGRAM option.
The available settings are MS-DOS and DESKMATE, with DESKMATE
being the default.
• Press the SPACEBAR once to change the setting from DESKMATE to
• Use the DOWN ARROW and LEFT ARROW keys to select the START-UP
DEVICE option. The choices are ROM and DISK, with ROM being the
• Press the SPACEBAR once to change the setting from ROM to DISK.
• Press F2 to update the EEPROM and restart the computer.
• Install MS-DOS 5.0 or 6.0. Note that you need to install MS-DOS
6.0 manually. (Refer to Chapter 8 in your "Microsoft MS-DOS
User's Guide" for version 6.0 for instructions.)
The Tandy products included here are manufactured by a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding these products' performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: