Award BIOS Earlier than 3.1 Not Compatible with MS-DOS (75105)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q75105
Award Software specifically states that versions of the Award BIOS earlier
than version 3.1 should not be considered compatible with MS-DOS versions
5.0 and later. Customers with versions 3.05 or earlier should contact Award
Software to purchase version 3.1 or later (3.2 and 4.2 are in the process
of being released).
For 286, 386sx, 386, and 486 processors, releases of the Award BIOS
version 3.1 are available that include optional code capabilities,
chip set support, and a new enhanced setup menu.
New features (beginning with 3.1) include the following:
• EMS in ROM: Provides an LIM EMS 4.0 expanded memory emulation in
the same ROM as the BIOS (available for all 386sx, 386, and 486
• User definable drive tables: In addition to 47 preset drive types
in CMOS setup, two additional selections (#48, #49) can be
programmed by the user to add hard drives not supported by the
preset table (allows for specification of number of cylinders,
number of heads, number of sectors per track, write precomp, and
• CMOS-based password: A password scheme is now available that can
selected through the CMOS setup. The password can be established
for the entire system of the CMOS setup only.
• Wider chip set support: In addition to the standard BIOS to support
many discrete component designs, Award's new release offers support
for integrated chip sets including those from Intel, Headland,
VLSI, Chips and Technologies, Faraday/Western Digital, Suntac,
ZyMOS, Trident, OPTi, and others.
• Extensive POST: Version 3.1 includes POST capabilities for new
features, such as the internal cache controller detect and
initialization for 486 systems.
The product included here is manufactured by a vendor independent of
Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this
product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: