Create a Bootable Floppy Disk Without Running Setup (75419)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
This article was previously published under Q75419
You can create a bootable MS-DOS version 5.0 floppy disk without
running the Setup program.
If there are problems running Setup, this method can be used to
continue a manual installation of the Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade. For
more information on manual installation, query on the following words:
manual and install and MS-DOS and 5.00 and upgrade
To create a bootable MS-DOS 5.0 floppy disk from the Microsoft MS-DOS
5 Upgrade disks, do the following:
• Use the DISKCOPY command from the current version of MS-DOS to copy
all of the files from the first Upgrade disk to the new floppy
There must be a direct match between the new floppy disk, the
Upgrade disks that were received, and the bootable floppy drive on
the machine. For example, if the Upgrade disks are low-density
5.25-inch disks, then a low-density 5.25-inch disk must be used for
the boot up disk and the bootable floppy drive must be 5.25-inch.
(This procedure copies the boot sector onto the new floppy disk.)
• Delete all of the files on the new disk with the following command:
• Create a temporary directory on the hard drive. For example, BOOT.
• Copy the file EXPAND.EXE to the temporary directory just created
using the following command:
copy a:expand.exe c:\boot
Note: EXPAND.EXE is on disk 6 (5.25-inch disks) or disk 3 (3.5-inch
• Copy the three files listed here from the Setup disk included with
the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade into the temporary directory created in step
copy a:io.sy_ c:\boot
copy a:msdos.sy_ c:\boot
copy a:command.co_ c:\boot
Note: These files must be copied in the order listed.
• From the temporary directory, expand each of the three files onto
the new floppy disk:
expand c:\boot\io.sy_ a:io.sys
expand c:\boot\msdos.sy_ a:msdos.sys
expand c:\boot\command.co_ a:command.com
This new floppy disk is now bootable with MS-DOS 5.0.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: