Differences Between Tandy DOS 5.0 and MS-DOS 5.0 (75529)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
This article was previously published under Q75529
Tandy is shipping its own version of the MS-DOS 5 Upgrade called Tandy
DOS 5.0 Upgrade. It is available through Radio Shack stores
The differences between the Microsoft MS-DOS 5 Upgrade and the Tandy
DOS 5.0 Upgrade are as follows:
• The Tandy Upgrade must be run from drive A after using UPGRADE.COM to
make the disk bootable and rebooting the system. Setup does not create
an Uninstall disk. Setup also deletes all files it does not recognize
in the DOS directory. It then expands all of the DOS files into the
DOS directory and after going through the five disks, it again goes to
disk 1 and disk 2. Instead of modifying the current CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT files, it renames them to CONFIG.OLD and AUTOEXEC.OLD and
places a new CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT in the root directory.
The Tandy Upgrade Setup does not remove IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS if these
were the names of the previous system files.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade ships with both 3.5-inch and 5.25-inch
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade has a program, UPGRADE.COM, that makes
the first upgrade disk bootable.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade uses the IBM convention for system files:
IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade has FDISK and FORMAT in noncompressed
• Date and time of Tandy MS-DOS files are 05-22-91 at 1:00p.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade does not include HDBKUP.EXE, HDRSTORE.EXE,
the updated Disk Manager, Speedstore, or network redirectors shipped
with the Microsoft upgrade product.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade comes with Logitech mouse driver release
6.0 that includes both MOUSE.SYS and MOUSE.COM.
• Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade also includes the file HSECT.COM, which is
a Tandy utility for low level hard drive formatting.
The product included here (Tandy MS-DOS 5.0 Upgrade) is manufactured
by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: