SHIFT+UP/DOWN ARROW Combinations Don't Work on Toshiba 5100 (77205)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q77205
If you have an 84-key keyboard with the Toshiba 5100, using the SHIFT key
with the UP or DOWN ARROW keys may not work properly with the MS-DOS
version 5.x and versions 6.0 and later utilities.
In MS-DOS Shell, Qbasic, or Edit, pressing the SHIFT+UP/DOWN ARROW key
combinations for text or file selection does not work correctly with an
incorrect CMOS setup.
The Toshiba 5100 CMOS setup contains options for an 84 or 101-key keyboard.
The SHIFT+UP/DOWN ARROW key combinations do not operate properly if the
setup is configured for an 84-key keyboard.
The Toshiba CMOS setup option for 84-key keyboard selection disables the 17
page editing keys. This prevents the UP/DOWN ARROW keys from working in
conjunction with the SHIFT key.
To correct the problem, change the system CMOS setup from an 84-key
keyboard to a 101-key keyboard, as follows:
• Insert the Toshiba Setup disk in drive A.
• At the A prompt, type TEST3 and
• Enter 0 (zero) for the Setup option.
• Select the Keyboard option.
• Change the 84-key keyboard to the 101-key keyboard.
• Press F10 to save your changes and exit Setup.
For more information, contact Toshiba.
The Toshiba product included here is manufactured by a vendor independent
of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this
product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: