Err Msg: "Error Reading/Writing Drive x" with WD-1006V-SR2 (77771)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q77771
If you have a Western Digital Controller card model WD-1006v-SR2, you may
receive the following error when reading or writing to a floppy disk drive:
Western Digital controller cards (WD-1006V-SR2) dated earlier than 1990 may
conflict with the MS-DOS EMM386.EXE memory manager.
To eliminate this error, exclude the appropriate address range within the
upper memory area (UMA) used by the controller card. To exclude the upper
memory range, place the exclusion range on the EMM386.EXE line of the
CONFIG.SYS file as follows
where <drive> and <dir> are the drive and directory in which the EMM386.EXE
file is located.
• If a range other than CC00-CDFF is specified for the controller card,
that range should be excluded.
• If you run MS-DOS MemMaker after you exclude the memory range, choose
Custom Setup, and then choose to "Keep current EMM386 memory exclusions
To test for an upper memory address conflict, remove the EMM386.EXE device
line from the CONFIG.SYS file or exclude the full upper memory address
The Western Digital products included here are manufactured by a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding these products' performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: