EMM386.EXE Err Msg: WARNING: User Specified Ranges Overlap (78925)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
• Microsoft Windows 3.1
• Microsoft Windows 3.11
• Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
• Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q78925
When you use the EMM386.EXE exclude switch X=MMMM-NNNN, you may receive the
following error message:
WARNING: User Specified Ranges Overlap.
Press any key when ready...
For example, this error message can be generated with the following
CONFIG.SYS file command:
This error occurs when the ranges you are including and excluding overlap,
or when you attempt to exclude memory in the ff00-ffff range.
To eliminate the error message, exclude a range below ff00 and ensure the
ranges you are including and excluding do not overlap. The largest range
you can exclude is A000-FEFF.
The F000-FFFF range is not included in the EMM386.EXE search algorithm. If
you are using EMM386.EXE version 4.45 or later, you can have EMM386.EXE
search this range by adding the HIGHSCAN parameter. The F000- FFFF address
range is typically occupied by the System ROM BIOS.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: