WordPerfect Office SHELL.EXE Cannot Be Loaded High (83129)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q83129
WordPerfect has confirmed that all versions of the WordPerfect Office
Shell program, SHELL.EXE, should NOT be loaded in the upper memory
The WordPerfect Office application includes a shell program (SHELL.EXE)
that provides the following services:
• Manages all available expanded memory (for WordPerfect Office) and
creates virtual memory via hard disk swapping when needed.
• Allows task swapping among different programs.
• Creates macros to run under the shell.
• Sets up a menu system.
Machine lock-ups and/or incorrect memory allocation may occur if
SHELL.EXE is loaded high.
Other applications included with WordPerfect Office are File Manager
(FM.EXE), Calendar (CL.EXE), Notebook (NB.EXE) and Editor (ED.EXE).
These applications may load in upper memory; however, this is not
supported by WordPerfect. These applications, as well as SHELL.EXE,
were written to be loaded in conventional memory.
The product included here (WordPerfect Office) is manufactured by
vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: