Use Mouse Driver 8.1 to Outline Mouse Pointer in MS-DOS Shell (83317)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
This article was previously published under Q83317
Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 Shell will display a normal graphic pointer inside a
black box if you use the Microsoft Mouse driver version 8.1 and
configure the pointer size to large.
To remove the black box from around the pointer, use an editor (for
example, MS-DOS Editor or Edlin) to edit the MOUSE.INI file, and set
the POINTERSIZE=small in the [DOSPOINTER] section.
A feature of Microsoft Mouse driver 8.1 is that you can have a large
mouse pointer. This large pointer may also include the regular graphic
pointer embedded within it. To display the large mouse pointer, do the
• Open the MOUSE.INI file in MS-DOS Editor (or another text editor).
MOUSE.INI should be in the \MOUSE or \WINDOWS directory.
• In the [DOSPOINTER] section, set POINTERSIZE=large. For example:
NOTE: The entry is not case sensitive.
• Save the changes you made in the MOUSE.INI file, and reboot the
machine so the changes will take effect.
• Execute Shell.
The mouse pointer will display surrounded by a black box.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: