The following information was taken from the Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0a
Upgrade README.TXT file.
6. MAKING YOUR NETWORK COMPATIBLE WITH MS-DOS 5.0
6.1 MS-DOS Shell and Networks
Most network software won't work correctly if you start it
from a MS-DOS Shell command prompt. Start your network
before starting MS-DOS Shell.
• You cannot run a server with 3+Share version 1.6 or
earlier and MS-DOS 5.0.
• If you installed 3Com 3+Share with minimal NetBIOS
implementation, do one of the following:
• Reinstall with a complete NetBIOS implementation.
• Use the REDIR.400 file to replace the MSREDIR.EXE file
on your hard disk.
• Call Microsoft Sales Information Center (MSIC) and request the
LAN Manager 2.0 supplemental disk; see your
registration card for the phone number.
6.3 AT&T StarGroup
Follow these instructions only if you cannot use the AT&T
StarGroup network after you upgrade to MS-DOS version 5.0
from MS-DOS version 3.x.
• Install MS-DOS 5 Upgrade.
• Type the following commands:
SETVER SETUP.EXE 4.00
SETVER ATTSTART.EXE 4.00
• Restart your computer.
• Use your StarGroup installation disks to remove the
existing network software from your computer.
• Reinstall StarGroup. When the StarGroup installation
prompts you to indicate which version of MS-DOS you are
using, choose MS-DOS version 4.0.
6.4 Microsoft LAN Manager 2.0 Enhanced
If you are running Microsoft LAN Manager 2.0 Enhanced or an
OEM version of LAN Manager 2.0 Enhanced, you may want to
take advantage of any remaining space in the upper memory
area by loading LAN Manager services such as NETPOPUP in
this area. Call Microsoft Sales Information Center (MSIC) to request the
LAN Manager 2.0 supplemental disk and technical notes. See
your registration card for the phone number.
If you are running Microsoft LAN Manager 2.0 Enhanced and
get a "NET3055" message, do ONE of the following:
• Use the RAM switch in the DEVICE command for EMM386 in
your CONFIG.SYS file, and the LIM=YES command in the
[workstation] section of your LANMAN.INI file.
• Use the NOEMS switch in the DEVICE command for
EMM386 in your CONFIG.SYS file, and the LIM=NO command
in the [workstation] section of your LANMAN.INI file.
6.5 Net/One PC
If Ungermann-Bass Net/One PC does not load with MS-DOS 5.0,
do one of the following:
• Contact your vendor to get an updated LOADNIU.EXE file.
• Put a UBPAUSE command between the LOADNIU and XNSBIOS
lines of the MSNET.INI file.
• Issue network commands from a batch file that includes
a PAUSE command between the LOADNIU and XNSBIOS lines.
6.6 Novell Networks
NetWare Shell Version (NET5.COM):
The NetWare workstation shell software is Novell's basic
DOS shell and is included with MS-DOS 5.0. You may
require a different shell for a specific application.
Contact your authorized Novell reseller if you believe
another shell may be needed. EMSNET5.EXE and XMSNET5.EXE,
alternate shells, are available from Novell.
Novell Remote Workstations (RPLFIX.COM):
If you can't load MS-DOS 5.0 on your remote-boot
workstation, contact Novell for the RPLFIX.COM file.
Drive Mapping Utilities:
If you run LOGIN.EXE, MAP.EXE, and SESSION.EXE from MS-
DOS Shell or while MS-DOS Shell is running, a search path
is not added to the existing path. Use these programs
before starting MS-DOS Shell.
TBMI2.COM and Task Swapper:
If you can't use Task Swapper in MS-DOS Shell when
running a Novell network, do the following:
• Expand and copy the IPX.OB_ and TBMI2.CO_ files from
Disk 2 (5.25" disks) or from Disk 3 (3.5" disks) to
IPX.OBJ and TBMI.COM on your hard disk.
• Use the IPX.OBJ file to create a new IPX.COM file. For
information about creating an IPX.COM file, see your
• Start your network, using the new IPX.COM and NET5.COM
• Start TBMI2.COM.
• Start the application that may be causing problems
with Task Swapper. Run the application and then exit.
• Display diagnostic information by typing the
• If the value in the field named Far Call Usage is not
0, you need to run TBMI2.COM before using Task
To get help with TBMI2.COM, type the following:
The default configuration for TBMI2.COM is correct for
most applications. If you need help configuring the
program, contact Novell.
TBMI2.COM and Windows:
Don't run TBMI2.COM if you are using Windows 3.0.
6.7 PC-NFS 3.0
If you use PC-NFS 3.0 with MS-DOS Shell, MS-DOS Shell may
display more drives than you have currently enabled. To
prevent this, use the PC-NFS /d switch to specify the number
of drives you are using. For more information, see your PC-
If you can't use the COPY or XCOPY command on PC-NFS 3.01,
contact your vendor to get an updated version of the
PCNFS.SYS device driver.
6.8 TOPS Network
If your system is a TOPS workstation, the MS-DOS Shell MOVE
command may not work.
Don't use the LOADHIGH command with a TOPS network.
6.9 IBM PC LAN 1.34
If you have problems with applications that use record
locking or file locking, you may need an updated REDIR50.EXE
file included in ICO 3039. Contact IBM Support Channel.
6.10 DEC PATHWORKS for DOS
To get support for MS-DOS Task Swapper, use PATHWORKS for
DOS version 4.1 or later.