MS-DOS 6 and later Require ASPI4DOS.SYS Version 3.1 or Later (96441)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q96441
If you have an Adaptec SCSI controller card that requires the ASPI4DOS.SYS
device driver, you may receive the following error message if you try to
install or run MS-DOS:
unrecoverable error: hard disk is not readable
NOTE: You may also experience problems with other MS-DOS components.
This error occurs if you are using a version of the ASPI4DOS.SYS device
driver earlier than version 3.1.
To avoid these problems, upgrade to version 3.1 or later of the
ASPI4DOS.SYS device driver before you install MS-DOS 6.0 or 6.2.
You may be able to work around the problem by using the following
• Run Setup with the /F parameter to create an MS-DOS 6.0 or 6.2 startup
disk. For example, type a:setup /f at
the MS-DOS command prompt and then press ENTER.
• Restart your computer with the MS-DOS 6.0 or 6.2 startup disk you
created in drive A in step 1.
• Run Setup from Disk 1 of the MS-DOS 6.0 or 6.2 Upgrade disks.
The products included here are manufactured by Adaptec, a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding these products' performance or reliability.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: