MS-DOS 6 Err Msg: The MS-DOS Setup Was Not Completed... (96956)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 5.0a
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q96956
The following error message occurs when MS-DOS 6.x Upgrade has not
been successfully installed:
If you cannot recover from this situation by restarting your computer
with the Uninstall disk in drive A, your CMOS settings may be
configured to search drive C for the MS-DOS system files.
Traditionally, the computer BIOS attempts to start MS-DOS from drive A
and then searches drive C if no disk is in drive A. However, some
newer AMI BIOS chips allow you to start your computer from drive C
without first looking to drive A. This is incompatible with the MS-DOS
5 and later upgrade uninstall technology.
To work around this problem, modify your CMOS settings to check for
a boot disk in drive A before attempting to boot from drive C.
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: