Setup Does Not Correctly Update Windows .INI Files (97015)
The information in this article applies to:
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.0
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.2
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.21
• Microsoft MS-DOS operating system 6.22
This article was previously published under Q97015
When you install MS-DOS 6 Upgrade, Setup may be unable to correctly
modify the Windows SYSTEM.INI and PROGMAN.INI files.
This problem is typically caused by terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR)
programs that are incompatible with Setup.
To resolve the problem, you should try to restore your unmodified
backup .INI files, disable your TSRs, then run Setup with the /E
You may be able to copy the unmodified backup files over incorrectly
modified, or missing .INI files. For example, your backup files
probably have the .BAK extension (although the extension may be .1,
.2, .3, and so on if you have installed MS-DOS more than once).
Proceed as follows:
• To restore your backup files, type the following at the MS-DOS command
prompt and then press ENTER:
copy c:\windows\system.bak c:\windows\system.ini
copy c:\windows\progman.bak c:\windows\progman.ini
• Use the REM command to disable any TSR programs in your CONFIG.SYS
and AUTOEXEC.BAT files.
• Reinstall the optional utilities by running Setup with the /E
| Modification Type:
|| Last Reviewed: